• Books of the Bible are abbreviated, see here for common Bible abbreviations.
The first time you include a quote from the Bible, you need to include the translation, chapter (abbreviated), book, and verse, like this:
If you include quotations from the same translation later in your paper, you only need to include the book, chapter, and verse:
Works Cited Page:
On your works cited page, your citation should include the translation you used; the editor’s name, if given; and the publication information. Examples are given below (note that The Message is slightly different because it has an author, not an editor).
- The English Standard Version Bible. New York: Oxford University Press, 2009. Print.
- The New Oxford Annotated Bible. Ed. Michael D. Coogan. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007. Print.
- Peterson, Eugene H. The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language. Colorado Springs: NavPress, 2002. Print.
- Zondervan NIV Study Bible. Full ref. ed. Kenneth L. Barker, gen. ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2002. Print.
Bible Gateway (Web Bible):
- English Standard Version. Bible Gateway. Web. 25 Oct. 2012.
- Peterson, Eugene H. The Message. Bible Gateway. Web. 25 Oct. 2012.
By Azusa Pacific University